Advertisment

Thursday, January 20, 2011

Review & Diary of my Clarisonic Mia

Before I jump into the diary, here is a look at the claims made by Clarisonic for the Mia with my comments in Red.  I have also included a run down of what you receive in the box...

Clarisonic says...
All the great benefits of the Clarisonic Classic in a new, smaller size. The perfect compact cleansing system for use at home or on the go. Mia is the new, go-anywhere Sonic Skin Cleansing System in a great compact size. The one-button, one-speed Mia fits your active lifestyle for beautiful, glowing skin wherever life's adventures take you.

Benefits:
More than 2x as effective as manual cleansing. (I agree)
6x more makeup removal. (I agree)
Leaves skin feeling and looking younger and smoother. (Definitely smoother, ? younger)
Increases product absorption. (I agree)
Clarisonic Mia Sonic Cleansing System is gentle enough for use twice daily. (I agree)
Reduces the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles. (Not sure)
Helps reduce oily areas, dry skin patches and blemishes. (I agree - less dry patches)
Helps reduce the appearance of visible pores. (Not sure)
Clarisonic Skin Care Brush System is waterproof. (I agree)
Brush heads are interchangeable with other Clarisonic Skin Care Systems. (I agree)
Suitable for use with any non-abrasive cleanser. (I agree)
Suitable for all skin types. (I agree)
Used and recommended by skin care professionals. (Not sure)

Your Clarisonic Mia Skin Care Brush System Includes:
Cordless Clarisonic Mia
Compact pLink™ International Charger
Sensitive Brush Head
Gentle Hydro Cleanser, 1oz trial size
1 year manufacturer warranty.
 
 
And here is my MsSparkleArkle diary....
 
Day 1
Arrived home to find 'Sorry we missed you' card from Fedex.  Scorned teenage son who was home to accept the parcel.  Son blamed death metal screamo music was playing too loudly. Demanded son go upstairs to clean his ears, but not before issuing regulation 'loud music will damage your hearing' lecture.

Day 2
Left authority to leave parcel outside for Fedex, just in case.  Bumped into Fedex driver on my way home.  I'm not sure all addressee's are so excited to see him as he seem startled when I flung open the security door and yelled 'why hello...I've been waiting for you!'.  Signed for parcel - excitedly.  Was surprised at how small the box was, not that I had any expectations of how big it was going to be.  Opened parcel, realised I needed an adapter to plug in to Australian power point.  Bundled kids into the car and off to Dick Smith Electronics and paid $13 for an adapter.  Put Mia on charger, disappointed that it needs 24 hours charge before first use.

Day 3
Used Clarisonic Mia for the first time while son filmed me for a YouTube video.  Both giggled when the sound came on.  I used the Shiseido Creamy Cleansing Foam (pictured below) and they were a great match, as this cleanser is not overly foamy.  You can see the You Tube video here.  I was really surprised at how gentle the brush was, and there was no redness when I was finished.  My skin felt really clean but not dry at all.  If I had to sum it up in one word I would say 'refined'.

Day 4
Used the Mia twice today, and did an extra minute on my neck and decollete and 30 seconds on each hand thanks to some great suggestions and comments on my YouTube video.  Some fellow Mia users say they use it on their lips and some even gently on their eyelids!  Not brave enough for the eyelids just yet.

Day 5
Lesson learned!  Changed the order of how I used my Mia and it was a disaster.  Instead of starting on a cheek, I started on my forehead but the excess water and cleanser ran straight into my eyes.  Ouch!

Day 6
Revelation!  I used the Mia on my 'keratosis pilaris' (pictured below).  This condition is also known as 'chicken skin' and has plagued my upper arms my whole life.  My son also suffers with it, and although only cosmetic, people do tend to ask if you are cold all the time!  After using the Mia on my arms (30 seconds each arm) I applied a rich body lotion lotion. 

After just one use I saw a little improvement.  The next day the roughness was reduced.  I'm not sure if this is a result of the light exfoliation of the Mia, or the lotion but suspect it is a combination of both.  This is enough for me to consider ordering another Mia for my teenage son.  He would love to be rid of his chicken skin too.  I think the key here is the very gentle cleansing action.  If you exfoliate this type of skin you will usually exacerbate the condition and will be much redder and more inflamed.

Not my arm but a very close representation of my 'chicken skin'
This is my upper arm after 4 days of Mia and body lotion

Day 7
The good things just keep on coming!  Today I  noticed that my skin looked.... nicer.  The best way to describe it still more 'refined'.  I am really impressed with the Mia and would recommend one to anyone serious about looking after your skin, and dedicated to its use.  No point buying one if it lives in the cupboard!

Where to buy one
I purchased my unit from SkinCareRX in the US.  Click here to go to the Clarisonic page on their website. 

Delivery took around three weeks which included the Christmas period.  I did receive an email from their customer service a couple of days after ordering, and I had to call them to let them know which state I lived in.  I am not sure if this is something I had omitted when ordering, or an issue with their website.  No drama though - I think the contact centre consultant was excited to speak to an Aussie!

Colours:  White, Pink, Yellow, Blue, Lavender and my shade Garnet Red.

Cost:  The unit was USD $149.00 although I used a coupon for 20% off (it's fairly easy to find one online, but leave a comment if you need help with this - never pay retail!)

Shipping to Australia: Fedex registered postage was approx USD $16

Conclusion
The Mia is designed for deep cleaning, not exfoliation however you will see an improvement in skin texture over a few days.  Stick to the instructions and don't over cleanse.  You can use this on more areas than just your face.  Oh - that came out all wrong!  Think decollete, upper arms, backs of hands, neck etc - get your minds out of the gutter people. 

I can guarantee you that I have been using this little gem consistently since it arrived, and I have only missed one night.  I will consider buying one for my son who is fast approaching pimpledom. 

My only concern is how the Mia will cope if dropped from a great height.  Showers are slippery and accidents happen.  I don't think 'droppage' is covered in the warranty!   

My rating: 5/5

Disclaimer:  I bought and paid for this item with my own hard earned money, and I have not been paid, encouraged or offered any incentive to conduct a review.  I am not affiliated with the manufacturer or seller in any way.  This review is my honest opinion.

7 comments:

Jadegrrrl said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Great review :) one day I'll get on the clarisonic bandwagon! :D

Dee said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

When I bought mine I got extra heads so my almost-teen daughter could use it too. She's had a bit of an issue with acne in the past year or so, and it's really helped to clear up a lot of it. I got the delicate heads for her, and they're a different colour to the one it comes with so we don't mix them up. :-)

The main thing I've noticed from using it myself is how much smaller my pores look, and it's also reduced the redness in my cheeks quite a lot. I haven't noticed it do much for my wrinkles though. *sigh*

Anonymous said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I too suffer from kp, i was going to get the clarisonic plus since it has the option of body brush. I get the kp on my upper arms and my butt, do you think the mia would work just the same on the body as the more expensive one would? I dont want to spend $225 if it does the same with $149.

MsSparkleArkle said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

The Mia would be fine - it can handle butts! I'm not currently using the Mia on my arms but my son still does on his. I just use Kiehls Creme de Corps. It's winter here though and I'll spruce myself up for Spring when it arrives!

ktn315 said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Thank you for your detailed opinion and thoughts on the Mia! I was looking around for some coupons for the Clarisonic, however, I was unable to find one. Do you think you could help me? Thanks!

MsSparkleArkle said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

If you buy from skincarerx.com use code DISCOUNT20 at the checkout for 20% off the price. Hope that helps!

Sarah said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I like to use the Mia on arms and legs too even though Clarisonic makes the Pro with a special body speed. I've never found that was necessary and the Mia is a lot cheaper!

Post a Comment